Shop Resources My Classroom My World Home Instagram Youtube TeachersPayTeachers Pinterest Facebook Email Image Map

December 1, 2019

Author's Purpose



#authorspurpose
Author's Purpose Posters

Who doesn’t love a little PIE? 

There may be years when teaching author’s purpose is harder than others.  Each year is different, and any educator knows exactly what I’m talking about.  My students were able to master Author's Purpose this year without a lot of reteaching. 

I covered each purpose one at a time.  We started with entertain because most of the books my students read are for enjoyment.  This was easy for them to master.  I read a variety of texts and had the students decide what was the author’s purpose for each.

 Naomi from Read Like A Rockstar has a great product for Author's Purpose.  I love how she includes a checklist of questions for the students to ask themselves about each passage.  This was very helpful when they had to work independently. 

Read Like A Rockstar 



Working together 


I used the passages from Read Like A Rockstar but just cut the tops and the bottoms off before laminating.  Each group had preselected reading passages based on their reading level. 



  We ended the unit with a “You Got PIE’ED” activity.  Students worked together with a partner.  Each group was given a collection of reading passages. They earned points for each purpose they answered correctly.  They were allowed to turn the crank on the Pie Game based on how many points they had.  So basically, everyone was going to get Pie'ed. 

#schoolhouserap

#schoolhouserap

#schoolhouserap

  How do you teach author's purpose in your classroom?



No comments:

Post a Comment