Shop Resources My Classroom My World Home Instagram Youtube TeachersPayTeachers Pinterest Facebook Email Image Map

November 7, 2016

Cause and Effect

I think this is one of the most difficult concepts to teach first graders.  It’s even more difficult when they need to come up with the effect.  We made our way through the first introduction of cause and effect and didn’t do too bad.  There were lots of activities to help master the skill.  As always, we started with some read-alouds and exercised our Metacognition by making a Reading Salad (will post about making a Reading Salad soon). 

Literature we used during the unit

I made sure to ask lots of ‘why’ and ‘what’ questions during the process. 


It also helps to have an anchor chart that remains up throughout the lesson.  Thanks to The Learning Toolbox for this one. 


My class loves all of the Pete the Cat books.  So, it was only fitting that we include one in this unit.  We used Pete the Cat and his White Shoes.  I gave them a sheet of blue construction paper and I saw the most creative cats I’ve ever seen in my life!! 



I used an idea from Teaching With a Mountain View blog and created a Cause and Effect chain.  I used very simple statements that my class could read on their own.  It’s a Freebie on my TPT site





 Click Clack Moo makes my students laugh every year I read it!    It's a cute story!!  The students needed help reading the causes and effects so I had them work in groups with two average-high reading students.  We went through the sentences together before they worked in their groups.  






I was also able to differentiate the lesson thanks to Mrs. Patmore and her 






The kids LOVED the story  A Bad Case of Stripes. The Texas Teaching Chicks offers a cute activity that went along with the book.  







 We learned quite a bit about Cause and Effect!











No comments:

Post a Comment